Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Labels

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Technical Instruction For Making Children's Book Illustrations


So, the first what I do is to DRAW! It sounds very simple , isn't it!? But seriously, first I imagine the picture in my head, and then create a rough with HB or 2B pencil (it depends what I have at home) on paper A4. When I feel ok, or sometimes fabulous (rarely) it is ready to clean-up, I use a non-permanent black pen, the exact name of it is Stabilo OHPen Universal. I tell because this is a wonderful pen, helped me a lot during work. After all these I scan the picture on 300 dpi in Photoshop as PSD format. In Photoshop the first thing what I do is to choose the right colors for the background of the illustration, because later they can't be changed so much, for example: the sky is blue, the tree and grass are green, the water can be dark blue, an so on...

Later it will be easier to compare the colors with the smaller details. Normally I use the paint bucket to fill the big areas of the picture, after with a tablet I can paint with the brush tool, to make some shadows - I use in multiply mode. But the most important in coloring is the bright-feeling when I am watching the picture, it shouldn't upset me.

Sometimes happens to me that I am not satisfied with my result, then I have import some different layers with other elements, like new characters or new objects into my children's book illustration.




Monika Vass is a professional children's book illustrator.Unlike other illustrators Monika do not draw super realistics illustrations, but cartoon styled, funny and bright colored ones, what children - between 0 and 10 - really loves. See the portfolio at http://www.monikabookillustrator.com




0 comments:

Post a Comment